The question of how to change your skincare for summer doesn't have to be complicated or costly. However, while each season requires some adjustments (richer textures in winter, lightweight switches come spring), summer does demand (nicely!) some careful and smart coordination to prime skin for the temperatures ahead.
Why your skincare routine should change in summer
Sweat, heat, all that summer-related fun that you don’t want to tell your parents or dermatologist about can play havoc with your skin. Consider that you’ll also be slathering on sunscreen, dipping into the ocean, chlorinated pools, air conditioning, or likely all of the above in one day. Also, wrestling with humidity, the occasional downpour and sunburn.
In other words, summer is a recipe for stressed out skin; stress that can manifest in breakouts, dullness, dehydration, and even a damaged moisture barrier. In short, summer skincare requires an arsenal well equipped to deal with harsher elements, tricky weather and too much fun is essential.
Product and ingredients to reach for in summer
Summer calls for lightweight textures that perform in heat and humidity, sink in fast and layer effectively. Reaching for nurturing and replenishing products is also a non-negotiable (think of your moisture barrier!). Pick up hydrating, antioxidant-rich serums (think: vitamin c, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide), mousse-like textures and masks that both detoxify and nourish.
Five must-have skincare products for summer
- Drop a gentle, hard-working gel or mousse cleanser like Properly Clean into your regimen to ensure skin is getting a thorough clean, and sunscreen, makeup and dirt are sent packing at the end of the day.
- All that sunscreen you’re slathering on can build up (as can dead skin cells, grime, gross stuff etc.) and lead to spots and congestion without proper exfoliation. Opt for a gentle, chemical exfoliant like lactic acid, one to two times a week, to handle dull, breakout-y skin. Exfoliating Swipeys are gentle enough to use all year long, and even deeply moisturise while they’re at it.
- Use a balancing face oil like Face Hero to regulate oil production and calm excess sebum (oil). Sounds counterintuitive but oil loves oil and will keep heat-soaked faces clear and nourished.
- Refresh your skin with cooling facial mist throughout the day. This can help soothe skin, amp up hydration and also just feels really nice.
- Work in a lush, detoxifying clay mask like The Removalist once a week for a heavy-duty clear out that will whisk away impurities and level up your antioxidant intake.
Preparing your skin for fall
Hot Girl Summer can’t last forever, and the arrival of fall—crisper air, pumpkin spiced everything—means Cold Girl Winter is just around the corner(ish). Slowly, giving skin time to adjust, work in lush creams and treatments to help nurture and repair skin post-summer. An oil-based cleanser like Fancy Face can help combat dehydrated skin while delivering skin-strengthening vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Sunscreen is non-negotiable at all times. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.